My girlfriend made some taquitos last night and they were fantastic. She made the refried beans from scratch and everything. Here's a copy of the recipe she used. Hope you enjoy.
- 1 (16 ounce) refried beans
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Tabasco chipotle pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 24 small corn tortillas (the thin ones work best if you can find them)
- 1 cup peanut oil or 1 cup corn oil or 1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
Prep Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
- Make guacamole first by combining all ingredients except sour cream.
- Mash and stir until only small lumps of avocado remain.
- Garnish with sour cream piled in the center and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine beans, Tabasco, cumin, corriander, salt and cheese stirring well.
- Microwave tortillas between 2 paper towels, 3 at a time on high for 30 seconds.
- Work with one tortilla at a time, keeping the others covered in paper towels so they stay warm and moist.
- Place 1 tablespoon of filling at the center edge of tortilla closest to you and roll tightly away from you like skinny cigar.
- Keep filling away from the edges, as it may leak out when frying and cause the oil to spatter.
- Put seam side down on a paper towel or wax paper and repeat the process until you've made all 24 taquitos.
- Using medium-thick cotton string, toothpicks, or bamboo skewers secure the center seam of each taquito (if you omit this part, they will pop open during frying and make a big mess).
- Heat oil in medium frying pan on medium-high (about 325F) and cook taquitos 4 at a time turning frequently until golden brown on all sides.
- Drain on cooling rack on top of paper towels (this ensures the oil drains away and the taquitos stay crispy).
- Serve hot with guacamole.